Paul F. Cooper, Jr. Archives: On-line Exhibits

Original Campus Plan
by architect Dwight James Baum 1927

This classic Georgian Colonial style campus plan was used by Thomas Jefferson at the University of Virginia. Due to finances, only the building to the right of the rotunda was ever built at Hartwick. Students are very amused by this campus plan, as it does not reflect the steep grade of their beloved hillside campus!

Science Hall on hillside c. 1929

Classes began in 1928 at the Walling Mansion in downtown Oneonta. In December of 1929, the students and faculty marched up the hill to the newly completed Science Hall - a lone statue on the hillside and the only campus building for nearly 20 years. In 1954 is was renamed in honor of Frank Harmon Bresee, a local merchant and avid supporter of the College.

Campus c. 1951

Following WWII, the Federal Works Agency erected two temporary buildings: The Arts Building, fondly known as "Cardboard Alley" for the arts, music and theater; and the Field House with a gym and locker rooms. Due to finances only half of Arnold Hall could be built, accommodating the library. In addition, the College purchased a former barracks from the Sampson Naval Base to serve as a Dormitory, and constructed temporary married student housing, known as "Splinterville," for returning veterans.

Campus c. 1961

By 1961 many of the temporary buildings had been torn down, three permanent dormitories constructed Dewar, Leitzell and Holmes, and the south wing of Arnold completed.

Campus c. 1967

The 1960s witnessed a massive construction frenzy on campus which included four dormitories,a large science complex, a new physical education building, and a centrally located library and museum.

Campus c. 1980

The two post-war Federal Works Agency buildings were torn down by the mid-1970s and replaced with a chapel at the campus entrance, and a unique Center for the Arts.

Campus 1996

The current campus includes a health center, two additional dormitories, a quadrangle apartment complex, and an expansive educational building for offices,classrooms and labs.

Paul F. Cooper, Jr. Archives